Saturday, January 12, 2008

Nothing is what it seems...

I didn't hear from Leroy last night. That's okay. I know he's got a lot of things on his mind right now. I figured I'd try to call him later on.

I started to keep Kara home but figured that it might be better for her to go ahead to school. That way, if for some reason I happen to run into Chris, he won't be able to get both of us at the same time and she'll be safe. That center is locked up tighter than Fort Knox.

I had just sat down a little after 12 when I heard someone at the door. Imagine my surprise when I looked out of the peep hole to find Neil standing outside my door. I leaned my head against the door. It was useless. I was going to have to cut him loose. Leroy could handle himself against Chris, but I didn't want to be responsible for anything happening to Neil.

I opened the door slowly. "Neil? What are you doing here?" I stepped back to let him in.

"Well, I stopped past your job this morning, and they said you went home yesterday on extended leave. I decided to stop by today to see if you were all right."

I sighed. Damn he looked good.

"Oh, yes. I'm fine. Um, it's my parents. They're here in town. I needed to take an extended leave to help them with something."

"Oh. Okay. As long as you're all right." He stepped forward to hug me and I took a step back. If he wrapped his arms around me, that would be all she wrote. "Look, Neil. We need to talk. Some things have happened lately." I took a deep breath. "I don't think it would be a good idea to pursue this relationship."

"What?" he frowned. "Look Terra, is this about the other night? I explained about that. I thought that was all behind us."

"Neil, it's not about the other night. But it does have to do with my other job."

I could tell he was pissed. "Can I use your bathroom?" he asked.

"Sure. Straight back at the end of the hall." I started pacing back and forth and heard another knock at the door.

I peeked out of the peephole to see Leroy standing in the hallway. I snatched the door open, happy to see that nothing had happened to him before I could give him the heads-up.

"It's about time you showed up." He walked into my apartment and sat down. I quickly gave him the 5 minute version of my conversation with Dispatch and let him know that he was seriously going to have to watch his back.

I felt overwhelmed at the expression on his face. Before I knew it, I was crying. Trust me, that's not something I do often. I don't think I've cried since before the lawyer told me that all of Christopher's money was tied up and I was flat broke.

Leroy leaned over to give me a brotherly hug and I started bawling on his shoulder. He patted me awkwardly on the back just as Neil walked out of the bathroom.

Oh, damn. I stepped back quickly from Leroy. "Neil, this is my friend Leroy. Leroy, this is Neil."

Neil's eyes narrowed for a moment before he stepped forward and offered his hand to Leroy. "Sup, man." Leroy returned his handshake.

"Well. I, um, guess I'd better be going." He said walking to the door. I followed him so I could lock the door behind him. He opened the door and took a step, then leaned back and kissed me on the cheek. "Bye Terra." he whispered, then he was gone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aw... she got men troubles