Thursday, January 10, 2008

Disturbing News.....

I arrived at Headquarters with 5 minutes to spare. (Yes, I flew. The subway doesn’t go there.) When I first walked into Dispatch’s office, he didn’t look up.

“Okay Dispatch. What’s going on?”

He rubbed his hands over his face as he looked up at me. “Have a seat.”

“I’d rather stand.”

“Trust me,” he said shaking his head, “You’ll want to sit down for this.”

Now he’s got me curious. I go ahead and get comfortable in one of the chairs in front of him.

“I need you to keep a low profile for awhile…” He started.

“Why?”

“I can think of a couple of reasons,” he muttered.

“Look, if this is about all that crazy crap yesterday-,” I stopped as he shook his head.

“It’s not. Trust me, this is something else entirely.” He picked up the pencil and started tapping on the desk. “Terra, you’re in danger.”

I looked at him in disbelief. “From who? Leroy? Brice? Please! I can handle them.”

He shook his head. “Terra, look. Just take a few days off, stay home with Kara. Just let us take care of few things in the meantime and we’ll let you know when it’s safe.”

My eyes narrowed. What was going on here? In all the years we had working together I had never seen dispatch this agitated.

“Dispatch, what’s going on?”

“We just want to make sure nothing happens to you.”

“We? I pull my weight around here like everyone else. If there’s something going on then you need to let me know!”

“For one, it seems that certain rumors about you reached your ex-husband at the prison.”

There goes that chill down my spine again. “What rumors?”

“The ones about you and Leroy.” Damn that was fast, I just found out myself today!

“So what?”

He stood up and came around the desk. “Your husband broke out of prison last night.”

I jumped out of my seat. “He what!” I started pacing back and forth. “That’s the last thing I need right now.” I looked back over at Dispatch. “Christopher’s smart, but it’s not like he has any special powers. I took him out once, I can take him out again.”

“It’s not that simple. It seems Christopher has been having someone smuggle supplies in to him. For the past few months, he’s been experimenting with several different isotopes. His roommate says that Christopher would talk about how once he completed his experiment you would all be together again. One big happy family.”

I sat back down in the chair and closed my eyes. I leaned my head back as a crazy thought occurred to me. Christopher never was wrapped too tight. “Don’t tell me. Please don’t say it.” I muttered.

“Terra, it seems he’s found a way to duplicate your powers. He’s more dangerous than ever. And we think he’s coming for you and Kara.”

“So like I said. Just lay low for awhile and watch over Kara.” I wanted to argue, but maybe he was right. I stood up to leave. “Fine. I’ll lay low.” I was about to leave out the door when something occurred to me. “What are the other reasons?”

“Just concentrate on that one for right now.” The expression on his face told me that he wasn’t going to tell me anything else.

No comments: