Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Disturbance

Okay this is how it happened.

Last night, somewhere around nine, I was sitting at home, relaxing with Kara (monitoring her on the internet) when the phone rings. Now, I know it's not Dispatch, cause I already told him don't call me tonight on threat of Death.

Curious, I answer the phone, and this a**hole starts rambling on the telephone about how he's calling me to collect on a debt, and how I'm about to be charged with fraud and all this other crazy stuff.

When I owe a bill, I know I owe it. I don't need some dimwit calling me making threats. Talking about sending me to jail and other crazy crap. Who does he think he is! You don't call people, especially not that late, talking about a bill. That's just wrong.

Whenever I do get a call like that, it makes me want to go the the prison and slap my ex.

He didn't realize who he was messing with did he?

First off, he interrupted my quiet time with Kara.

Secondly, you don't make collection calls to superheroes.

In other words, I'm definitely the wrong person to call with this kind of nonsense.

I promptly hung up up on him and called Leroy.

"You got me."

He always answers like that.

"What's Tellico's number?" I asked.

"Why couldn't you just call dispatch?"

"Cause I don't need Tony asking why." He sighed then quickly rattled off the phone number. "Is that it?". I answered yes and told him I'd see him at work tomorrow.

Tellico is one of the Urban 30. His specialty is travelling along the phone lines. And he's super fast now that they've got fiber optics.

I dialed and waited patiently for him to answer. "Yo Tell."

Next thing I knew he was standing in my living room. "'Sup, Terra"

I shook my head. It did no good to scold him about arriving unannounced. He just couldn't seem to help himself.

"I need a favor." I proceeded to explain to him about the nasty collection agent. By the end of my description he had a wide smile on his face. "Dial the number. This is gonna be good." I dialed and watched in amazement as he dived into the phone line.

About 30 minutes later, my phone rings. Before I can get the receiver to my ear, out pops Tellico, grinning from ear to ear.

"They won't be calling you again."

I smiled. "You didn't give him a heart attack did you?"

"Naw"he replied. "He was a little surprised to see somebody jump out of his phone, but he's alright."

"So I won't have to worry about him calling me acting crazy again?"

"Nope. As a matter of fact, your debt is paid in full. He paid for it himself." By now, my mouth is hanging open. "He what?" Tellico grins. "As a matter of fact, he said to have a happy holiday and to let him know if there's anything he can do for you. Ever."

I smiled. "I owe you big time." He waved as he punched in his number and jumped back in the phone.

Good. Somebody who acts like that deserves to be scared silly. I would've liked the heart attack, but I'm trying to remember that I'm a superhero to save lives, not end them.

Now that's what I call teamwork. Still.....

No comments: