Monday, April 14, 2008

Closer to the Goal

It didn't bother me that Leroy kicked the door in. The time for being subtle was over. Veronica had probably sent him some kind of message to let him know we were here. Either that, or they had some kind of surveillance that tipped him off when we arrived. Christopher was nobody's fool, and he knew I'd be coming after Kara.

Leksi went down the steps first, with me in the middle, and Leroy behind me. I'm guessing subconciously they were trying to protect me. Which was okay. As long as they didn't underestimate me or Christopher, then we would get through this with a minimum of drama.

Just that quick I had forgotten about my father.

He was standing in the middle of the basement, eyes closed. "There are several tunnels running behind these walls."

Why was I not surprised? I looked down at the floor to see that it was concrete with not so much as a speck of dirt. I had to think. I couldn't have Leroy tear down the walls, that would destroy the foundation. My father and I were severely limited by the fact that there was no organic plant life or earth in the house.

As much as I hated to ask it, I only had one choice. "Leksi, take the power."

He nodded, then walked over to the circuit breaker. Laying his hand against the panel, he turned to me. "How much?"

"At least three or four blocks. We don't know how far these tunnels go."

He turned back to the box and thirty seconds later, everything was pitch black. The only light coming in was through a small glass block window. I heard a soft 'whoosh' as the doors slid back, leaving four holes in the basement walls.

Drawing in a deep breath, I stepped forward to the tunnel closest to me. "We're going to need to split up. And we'll need something to see by." I held the palm of my hand up. Leksi created a ball of energy and bounced it me and the others. Leroy made a face, but thank goodness, kept his tongue behind his lips.

Once we were all prepared, we each stepped into the tunnel.

No comments: