Monday, December 8, 2008

More and more questions

We managed to make it back to Headquarters without any bloodshed, but it was a close thing.

Of course, the first thing I saw when I walked in the door was Christopher. "Where's Leroy?" I snapped, walking up to him.

His eyebrows raised in innocence, but I was by no means fooled. Christopher was a master manipulator. "I have no idea," he said. "However, we've discovered Seth's whereabouts. Since you're the only one immune, we're going to have to send you in alone."

He handed me a piece of paper. "This is where you can find him." he said.

"What about Leroy?" I asked.

Christopher stared at me for a moment before responding. "I'm sure he's fine. He seems to be a loner anyway. I'll get Bitter and Connor to check it out." He walked back down the hallway towards his lab. I glanced around. Connor and Bitter seemed to have found someplace else to be, leaving me alone with Torrid.

I turned to Torrid to warn him off. "You need to stay here and have your boy Bitter find something for you to do."

Torrid crossed his arms, rocking back on his heels. "You think I can't handle myself in a fight?"

I looked at him. "That has nothing to do with it. I lost one teammate already who zoomed in when he wasn't needed. I'm not going through that again." I started walking away from him. "I need to find out where Leroy is."

His eyes narrowed and his arms uncrossed. "So the rumours are true. Leroy is your boyfriend."

I stomped back over to him. "No he's not my damn boyfriend! Leroy is my teammate; Unlike you - who can't handle more than one person at a time, he's a true fighter. He's dependable. Who know's if you're gonna show up or not. You think I'd put my trust in you? Leroy's one of the few people I trust to get my back! So my first priority is to make sure he's okay. It's no less than he would do for me. You're just gonna have to deal with it!"

I could see the muscle ticking in his cheek as his hands balled into fists at his side. Was he mad? Did I care?

"If you want to know where your boyfriend is, why don't you ask your husband?" he snarled at me. Without waiting for my response, he turned and walked away.

"Dammit, Torrid! Come back here! What the hell are you talking about!" He kept walking.

No comments: