Saturday, May 3, 2008

Back to normal.....Almost

Since the drama seemed to be (for the most part anyway)over, I figured I might as well go back to work. So that next morning, I woke up, got dressed, got Kara washed and dressed, dropped her at the daycare, and went back to work.

There were several surprised faces, even though I hadn't been gone that long. Especially Ron in Procurement. I was tempted to hang him out the window by one of my tentacles for all the confusion he had started, but decided that it wasn't worth it; he would get his soon enough.

Lucky for me, they hadn't given away my office. Even with the downsizing we just went through offices were a rare commodity. Sitting down at my desk, I dived in.

It actually felt good to be back and in the swing of things. A million reports needed to be run, some really, really dumb, and some that actually challenged my mind. Everything was going fine until lunchtime.

I stepped out of the office and noticed Ron at the end of the hall, talking to two of the staff assistants. They all looked up, startled, and the two girls quickly walked the other way. Sad. Some things never changed. Ron smirked and started walking towards me. " Hey Terra. What's up?"

"Hi Ron." I turned and started walking in the opposite direction. "Nothing's happening."

"Did you know they moved your intern over to the new building?" I shook my head. "Well, him and one of the new receptionists were getting hot and heavy in one of the back offices. Corporate decided to split them up."

"And we haven't seen your friend Edward in a while." I stopped and turned to Ron. He knew something. He always did. We still hadn't quite figured out how.

"Number 1 - Edward's not my friend. Number 2 - why are you telling me?"

He shrugged. "Oh, I don't know. You, him and Leroy seemed awfully cosy." I narrowed my eyes at him and took a deep breath to speak. Before I could say anything, one of the assistants came down the hall at a fast trot.

"Um, Terra? You have a visitor up front." She had this big grin on her face. What the hell was she smiling at? I rolled my eyes at Ron and walked towards the front desk.

I walked through the glass doors to the lobby and froze in my tracks.
Ilektros stood before me, dressed in earth clothes. Now, mind you, I never said he wasn't sexy, I just said I didn't want him. I knew that I had nobody but my father to thank for this. Lexi stood before me, dressed to the nines in a dark charcoal suit and maroon tie. Evidently, word had spread that there was a man up front, because not only did almost every woman in the office make an excuse to come up to the front, but several women who didn't even work in my office suddenly came up with a reason to visit. Too much drama for my first day back. As I glanced around, I noticed Ron standing in one of the doorways, arms crossed, frowning. I smiled back at him. This was one that he couldn't have found out about before hand.

Leslie Connors, one of the part time receptionists asked, "Terra, why didn't you tell us you were getting married?" I just smiled back and walked over to him.

"What in the hell are you doing here?" I hissed, pulling him to the side.

"I told your father that I needed to see more of your lifestyle. "We saw that this is what most 'business' men wear. He said I should..." he frowned, then brightened as he remembered. "Take you to lunch." I wasn't all that hungry, but he had to get the hell out of here. "Stay right here while I get my purse."

I walked back past Ron, who surprisingly enough, didn't say anything. But I could have sworn he took Lexi's picture with his camera phone.

No comments: