Friday, May 30, 2008

A meeting of minds..

I managed to finish cleaning without any other distractions, when Kara came back into the house with my father. Since it was Friday, (and my house was already clean), I was about to suggest a movie for Kara when the phone rang.

"Hey girl, it's Tomeika." I smiled. I should have known they wouldn't forget about hanging out. "What's up?"

"Me and Jada wanted to meet up with you guys for drinks tonight. Especially after what happened to MT. I bet he didn't plan to get put out like that! I mean, Damn! For a minute I thought I was watching WWE."

I had to smile. "Tonight's fine. But I've got to leave before midnight."

"That's cool. Me and Jada have to be at the hairdressers by 7 am. I can't fight crime when I'm lookin' raggedy." One thing I had to admit, the two of always had their act together when it came to their appearance. On more than one occasion I had seen guys slip them their number after a fight.

We agreed to meet at Bar Louie's at 6:30. Which left me about forty-five minutes to get ready.

My father looked at me strangely when I told him that I was going out, not because he had a problem watching Kara, but because he had a problem with me going out. Alone. With the possibility of meeting other people. Men specifically. Human men.

I quickly showered and got dressed, even taking a minute to throw on a little makeup.

"What time will you be back?" he snapped. I tried not to look directly at him when I answered. "It won't be until late. I have to meet with Dispatch at midnight." I quickly ran outside to flag a cab. As I walked into the restaurant I could see that Tomeika, Jada, and Leroy, had already started without me. Walking over to the table, I sat down and proceeded to join in. It only took me a few minutes to catch up with them since they were only on their third round when I joined in. The average superhero can't get drunk and because of our superpowers, we have a higher tolerance for alcohol. In my case, I've had stronger drinks off-planet than the stuff they serve here.

By our fifth round, I guess some of the guys in the bar thought that we were drunk enough to approach. Leroy had seen some girl over at another table and went to try to talk to her. To their credit, the guys weren't bad looking. One even kind of reminded me of Neil. He had just gotten bold enough to grab my hand, when I saw Jada glance towards the door and frown.

"Hey Tomeika. Isn't that the guy we had to beat down when we went to get that guy for dispatch?"

I turned and spotted Leksi at the same time he spotted me. And the guy holding my hand. All hell broke loose. Leksi charged over and tossed the guy to the side. His friends, naturally, took exception to having their buddy tossed across the room like a ragdoll. The next thing we knew, everybody was in on it. There were chairs, drinks, and people flying all over the place. I started to join in then stopped. Who invited him anyway? Jada and Tomeika had stood up to intervene, but I motioned them to sit back down.

"You're not gonna help him?" Jada asked, tossing back another drink.

"He's a big boy. He can handle himself." Both of them smiled at me and relaxed in their chair. A few minutes later, Leroy made his way back over to the table. "What's with your boy?" I shook my head then ducked for a flying chair. "He's delusional. He'll get over it."

I leaned over to Leroy. "I'm meeting with Dispatch at Midnight." Glancing over, I looked to see how Leksi was doing in the brawl. Some guy had him up against the wall, his feet dangling in the air. I wanted to stay to see how everything worked out, but I looked down at my watch to see it was 11:30. "I've got to go guys. Can you throw him in cab for me and send him back to my place?" The girls nodded smiling.

I looked back once as I made my way out the door to see Leksi on the floor out cold.

No comments: