Monday, May 19, 2008

More and more problems

The rest of the day was uneventful, but I could tell whenever I passed, that Ron was watching. I was about to leave for the day when I got a call from Raz.

"Hey Terra."

"Hey Tomieka. You feeling better?" Even though the whole stunt with Christopher still had me a little peeved, she was still a team member. Besides, Dispatch was the one I was going to take a chunk out of - that is, if he'd ever answer my calls. I'm tempted to do a fly-by, but he's probably got that place locked down tighter than Fort Knox.

"Oh yeah! Much better!" I heard her shuffling some stuff around in the background. "Anyway, to show that there are no hard feelings...we want to take you and Leroy out for drinks this weekend."

I started to instantly say no, then thought about it. My father was here and showed absolutely no signs of leaving, so I had a babysitter. Not to mention the fact that my apartment seemed even smaller with Leksi there.

"Okkaayy...yeah,sure. Why not?" I stood to finish packing my briefcase. "Just let me know when and where."

"Cool! I'll tell Jada it's a plan. See ya."

"See ya."

I hung up the phone and walked out of the office towards the front, when I heard Ron on the phone in the conference room.

"How many databases did you check?" He paused. "And you checked all the overseas databases?" He paced back and forth. "It sounded like a Russian accent, but hell if I know. He was a big guy, like 6"8, maybe 6"9...all muscle."

I eased past while he had his back turned. "He can't just friggin not exist!" I could hear the frustration in his voice. He sighed. "Whatever. I'll check a few other options when I get home." I hurried around the corner when I heard him slam down the phone.

Damn him. Damn Leksi. And Damn my father for calling him here in the first place. I flipped open my phone once I got outside to try to reach Dispatch again. Of course, no answer. I started to dial Leroy, but figured I'd wait until later. All I needed was an herbal tisane, and some peace and quiet.

I had plenty of the first, who knows where I was going to find the second.

No comments: