Thursday, October 30, 2008

R.I.P. Ralph, the Arrow

Arrow was dead.
I couldn't believe it.


The rest of that evening was just a blur. I couldn't seem to focus on anything. I contacted my father and let him know what was happening. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have told him anything. That just goes to show how upset I was. I had just finished talking to my father when I got the message:


ALL URBAN 30 MEMBERS - REPORT TO HEADQUARTERS AT 3:00 PM FOR AN EMERGENCY MEETING.

I sighed. Now what?


I called Leroy to make sure that he showed up. I think Leroy was just as dazed as I was. In a way, I was more pissed than anything that this had happened on my watch. Debating for a few minutes, I sent back a positive response.


If something like that could happen so fast, what hope was there?

Like a good little superhero, I showed up at the meeting a few minutes early. I needed time to pull myself together before talking to the rest of the team. I sat in the peace and quiet, wondering where Dispatch was hiding. Every time he called a meeting of everybody, there was bound to be some confusion.


After a few minutes, other members started to trickle in, one by one. Most waved to me as they came in, but others gave me strange looks. I guess the word must have spread about me being there when he died. I heard some of the others wondering if maybe Dispatch wanted to have a memorial service for Arrow. I didn't think so, but far be it for me to burst their bubble.

I saw Leroy finally arrive and gaze in disbelief that people were still trickling in after him. Knowing him, he probably thought he'd be the last to arrive. I heard someone talking about the time when Ralph launched right into the side of a billboard, or the time he landed in the kitchen of the burger joint and blew up the fry machine. They laughed softly, tears in their eyes, because they had lost one of their own.

Most of the soft laughter disappeared when Todd appeared in the doorway, dressed in plain clothes and crying like a banshee. I didn't realize a man could cry so loud. I watched as Leroy waved him over and talked softly to him.

I got the feeling from the expression on Leroy's face that whatever he said to him was a complete shock. Hm, I'll have to check in with Leroy later on and find out what he said. I finally got tired of waiting and started walking down the hall to go find Christopher to figure out what kind of progress he was making.


Before I could step away from my chair, I saw Dispatch and Christopher walk in. I sighed as I sat back down Dispatch reached the podium, Christopher trying to look like an authority figure beside him. Honestly, I really didn't want to hear anything he had to say. I had defended him on more than one occasion.

But now?


He's on his own......
Let the rest of the team tear him to shreds. He should have never sent somebody that untried to try to back me up.

I glanced over at Leroy and saw his eyes narrow and Christopher and Dispatch. After a few minutes, everyone calmed down enough for Dispatch to start speaking.


"Its always sad to lose someone so dedicated to the cause. But im sure if the Arrow were here,
he'd want us all to solve this mystery and make things safe. Not just for us, but the city and ultimately, the world."


I looked around to see how people were responding. "Some of you are wondering why we are at less than half, tonight," Dispatch continued. "Most of us have already lost our powers; those that havent, quit for fear of that very thing. But those of you who are here, must continue on... the way the Arrow did."

I saw Leroy shake his head out the corner of my eye and Todd put his face down in his hands to start crying again. It struck me as funny watching the two of them....Dispatch and Leroy have some of the same mannerisms...

I knew dispatch could be a cold bastard, but he seemed almost unaffected by what had been happening. Then again, he had always been more on the outside than one with the team. All i could keep wondering was...'why in the hell is christopher here?' I soon had my answer.

"In light of our decreased numbers, we will be reorganizing for maximum coverage."
I sat up and frowned. What the hell was he up to? Low murmurs started as he called off pairings of the U30 member who were left, then looked directly at me before dropping the bomb.

"Dr. Christopher Davidson has been temporarily activated to work with the Urban 30."
I heard a "What the fuck?" come from the back of the room, but i wasn' t sure who said it. I started shaking my head even before he finished. "He's going to be working with his wife, Terra."


Dispatch and Christopher were dead men.

No comments: