Wednesday, October 15, 2008

New Assignments

Somehow, I was able to get through the hospital visit yesterday without killing Christopher. Tomeika never moved the entire time he performed his tests. It was depressing to say the least. It was a relief to drop him back off at headquarters. He kept trying to get me to respond to his little comments about us getting back together. When I refused to answer, he finally got the hint and shut up. I took the time to think about the totems and the power they possessed.

Who in the world controlled enough magic to create something like that?

I didn't sleep well that night. I started to call Leroy, but decided to wait until I had something more substantial. I didn't want to get him riled up for it to all lead to nothing. I went to work the next day early, as usual. Today, I was able to work until almost twelve before the new intern, Samantha, popped her head into my office. "Hey Terra!" she eased into my office and shut the door. "They sent to girls over to the other office."

Frowning, I asked who.

She shrugged. I can't remember their names, somebody just said something about last year's christmas party. Oh, and somebody said that other guy, um, Brice?" Her face squinched up like she was in pain. "Yeah, Brice. Somebody said they had seen him."

I sat up straight in my chair. "Brice is back?"

"Yeah. That's what I heard anyway. I still haven't seen him." She leaned forward. "What does he look like? Is he cute?"

All I could do was shake my head. Why did these kids love talking to me?

"I don't think of him that way. You'll have to judge that for yourself."

"'Kay. Well, I've gotta go up front to cover the desk for lunch. See ya later!"

She bopped out of my office towards the front. She was just too bubbly. I stood up to stretch and go get something to eat when my cell phone began to ring.

"Terra."

"Starting today, you've got a new partner." Dispatch said.

"But-,"

"His name is Arrow. I'll text you his cell number." He added quickly.

"What happened to-," he cut me off again.

"Report back in to me after you've made contact with him." He hung up in my ear.

Damn, I hated when he did that. There was nothing I hated more than training rookies.

No comments: