Tuesday, September 16, 2008

What should have been a good time.....

Since Kara was still off planet with my father, this was the perfect opportunity to go out and have a little fun. And what better fun than Barry's BBQ.

Of course, Barry seems to just get a kick out of asking me to bring the garden salad. Ha-ha.

I arrived a little late to find that Leroy was already there. Looking around, I spotted almost everybody, including one of the new guys, Ralph. He just happened to be the guy that jacked up Lexi in the bar a few months ago. He definitely got my vote. It was a sore note about Greg, but we should be getting some rainfall soon. If not, I'm going to have to pull a favor from mom; I'll just tell her that I'm dating another human. That should give us enough rainfall to last us through next summer.

I had just managed to find a chair and get comfortable when Leroy came over and asked if I had talked to Tomeika and Jada. I frowned. Now that I thought about it, I didn't see them at the stadium for the baby Snuffles birth either.

I shook my head. "Why don't you just call them?"

I knew Leroy was worried. Tomeika and Jada never miss the opportunity to party.

"Something's wrong." Brice said as he walked over. Hopefully, him and Leroy wouldn't get into one of their little verbal battles. They always seem to rub each other the wrong way.

We all glanced down as Leroy's phone began to ring. I could tell by his face that the news wasn't good. Turning around, I began to shush the crowd so he could hear. One by one, everyone started to sense something was wrong and began to gather around us.

"What hospital?" I heard Leroy say. I could hear Jada yelling hysterically into the phone and was able to pick up some of what she said. His face was like stone as he hung up and turned to me.

“Something’s wrong with Tomieka." Leroy said, his voice vibrating with tension. "She won’t wake up. Bring Brice and Blake. Maybe one of them can go inside her head and find out what’s going on.” Brice nodded as though Leroy hadn't deliberated ignored him.

He nodded, drained his beer and took off.

"We will meet you there." I told him. I turned around to find the new guy, Ralph, standing right over my shoulder. "What was all that about?"

"Tomeika's in the hospital." I told him gathering up my things.

He frowned. "She works with that other girl, right? What's her name?"

"Yeah. Jada. That was her on the phone." I shook my head. "Sounds pretty bad."I walked over to Barry and let him know what was happening. Before I could walk back over to Brice, Barry was in the background taking off his apron. "Okay, everybody. Party's over. We need to get to the hospital. Tomeika's down." Everybody froze. People started handing car keys over to their spouses or whoever they showed up with. Those who could fly immediately took off.

I was scared to think of what could have made her so sick.

No comments: