Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Well Kept Secret....

After I left Leroy, I went straight to Headquarters. I was used to Dispatch hiding things from people, but this was starting to get scary. I had the feeling that whatever was going on, he had Christopher in the middle of it.

That was even scarier. Christopher was brilliant, true, but his twisted mind didn't compute helping people. I doubt the jail time helped to change his mind about that.

As I stepped inside and began to walk inside, I kept a close eye out for anything out of the ordinary. I purposely didn't walk into the command center. Dispatch spent so much time there that I didn't believe he ever slept. It was as though he was some kind of sentinel, scared to close his eyes in case something happened while he wasn't looking.

I walked quickly back to hallway where I found the locked door. I knew I only had a few minutes before Tony appeared. I managed to reach the door and tried to run my hand print again. Still no luck. Glancing quickly up and down the hall, I placed my hand on it again and concentrated. I had a couple of tricks up my sleeve that even Dispatch didn't know about. A few seconds later, the reader flashed green and the door opened.

I slipped inside and looked around. A cot sat in the far corner of the room. Several bookshelves stood against the walls. They were cluttered with different books and gadgets. I stepped across the room to another door, this one without a reader. As I stepped closer, it slid open.

My breathe caught in my throat. Inside the closet-like space was a suit of armor. Just like the one the mystery hero had been wearing.

"Dammit, Tony," I muttered, just before a voice spoke behind me with enough anger in it to send chills up my spine.

"I should have known you wouldn't leave it alone." I turned to find Dispatch standing behind me, more angry than I had ever seen him.

No comments: