Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Five-0? More like 4 and a quarter

Ugh. I am not a fan of police stations by any stretch of the imagination. I'm usually able to get someone else to take my perps in for me. Too much noise, and definitely too much confusion. Everywhere you look, there's somebody cuffed to something. Four guys cuffed to a bar on the wall, one girl wearing nothing but a purple low cut leotard and matching slip-ons was cuffed to the chair beside a detective (who couldn't seem to look past her breasts when he asked her a question-little did he know that it was actually a guy) and of course, what station would be complete without a couple of drunk and disorderlies? Despite the madness, I managed to get through the crowd and stopped at the front desk.

I had to do a double take when I looked at her the clerks name tag. Marsha Jones? It couldn't be. Big Bertha? How this chick managed to get a FRONT DESK job working for the police, I'll never know. Maybe because of her past profession, (might still be her current position) they thought she was perfect for the job. She still had her long blond braids, but she had shaved off her eyebrows and drew a thin, arched line in its place that left her looking like somebody had scared her half to death. It didn't help that somebody lied to her and told her that she'd look good in bright orange lipstick. The whole effect reminded me of something from Kara's last trip to the circus.

Her eyes narrowed as she watched me walk forward, which was not a good sign. I had never personally met her, but it would be just my luck that Karl had said something about me. The last thing I needed was her causing a scene in the station. With any luck Dispatch had taken care of everything and I could get Leksi out of here before somebody realized he didn't really exist. I focused back on her and tried to look less aggressive. It didn't work. I took a wild guess from the way she laid down her pen and sat back in her chair with her arms crossed that she wasn't going to make this easy for me.

"I'm here to pick up Isoglani Ilekrismos."

"Hmph." She picked her pen up and started writing again. "You'll have to come back tommorow."

My eyebrow raised at her tone. Too bad she didn't realize that I'd snatch her across the desk in less time that it would take her draw her breath, much less her gun. I had just opened my mouth to speak when the hairs stood up on the back of my neck and the lights flickered. Oh hell.

"Look, I'm sure if you look in the system," Before Leksi manages to suck all the power out of three city blocks... "You'll see that everything has been arranged for him to be released now."

"Look," she snarled. "I told you he won't be ready to go until tommorow. Standard procedure. I don't care who you know, or think you know, you'll have to wait just like all the rest." This time we both looked up as the lights flashed again. She frowned and sat forward to look out the glass doors of the station. "Is it storming outside?"

'No but you're about to have a helluva storm inside,' I thought. "I understand that it's the standard procedure, but if you could just check-," Without another word, she just got up and walked away. Oh no she didn't! Fine. If that's the way she wanted it. I was of half a mind to leave him right there and go home. Shaking my head, I turned and went to stand near an electronic door I had seen several policeman coming from. If I left him there to blow the place up, Dispatch would kill me.

It was only a few minutes before one of the officers came out and I was able to get them to look up the info on Leksi. The power flashed two more times before I could finally get them to bring him out. Static crackled around him, and he frowned even more when he saw me. "You!" he stomped over to me. "It is your fault I am in this disgusting place. There is no privacy to relieve yourself!"

From the condition of his face, I could hope that he had learned a lesson in humility...but no, not this big fool. "Shut up!" I hissed, catching him off guard and actually convincing him to close his mouth. "You will follow me out of here with your mouth closed before I decide to let them put you back, is that understood?" He nodded quickly and followed me out of the station where I had a cab waiting. In the cab, I questioned him about how he found me and why he came, only to find out that my father was behind the whole thing.

Daddy... you are so in for it.

No comments: